Food poisoning from vegetarian food
Food poisoning bacteria associated with vegetarian foods include, for example:
- Bacillus cereus: cheese products, cereal products, rice
- Clostridium botulinum: honey, tinned vegetables, fresh yoghurt purées
- Clostridium perfringens: unpeeled raw vegetables and beans
- E. coli: unpasteurised fresh fruit juices, salad and vegetable crops that have been in contact with untreated slurry or raw sewage
- Listeria monocytogenes: vegetables, ice cream, soft cheeses
- Salmonella: coconuts, sprouting beans, eggs
- Staphylococcus aureus: eggs, dairy products
This, of course, means yes, it is true that you can still get food poisoning from vegetarian food.
Causes of food poisoning from vegetarian food
Food poisoning infections by vegetarian food are often caused by:
- Lack of adequate cleaning and disinfection
- Improper cooking
- Inadequate chilling
In food preparation premises, cross-contamination may occur as a result of indirect or direct contact with:
To prevent food poisoning outbreaks, food-related businesses must comply with the 1990 Food Safety Act and the EC Regulation 852/2004.
They must also:
- Prepare and implement HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) food safety management procedures
- Ensure they and others working for them have adequate food hygiene training
- Put that training into practice
There are also many additional requirements, details of which can be found on the RBKC Web page hyperlinked above.
Accident Advice Helpline
If you have contracted food poisoning from vegetarian food at a restaurant, you could be eligible to claim for compensation.
We have been successfully conducting food poisoning claims, claims for injuries by slips, trips and falls and other personal injury claims for in excess of 15 years. Take advantage of our experience and get the compensation you deserve by calling 0800 083 5045.
No Win No Fee
Only pay a fee, if you receive compensation
98% of our road traffic accident cases are conducted on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning we only take a fee if we win compensation on your behalf, therefore there is no financial risk to you.Read more