No win no fee* Baldock lawyers and the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)
The CICA administers ta government funded scheme from which you can claim compensation if you are the innocent victim of a violent crime. You must fit the criteria to be able to claim, and the CICA must be the last port of call having already tried to get compensation from the person that caused your injury. If you do not know who that is, or if you do but they do not have the means to pay you, the CICA will consider a claim from you providing:
- The crime must have happened within the last two years, unless you were below 18 at the time when special rules apply.
- You must have been an innocent victim of the crime
- The incident must have been reported to the police
- You must have helped the police with their enquiries
- You must have received medical attention for your injuries
- You must have exhausted all other avenues of receiving compensation, such as the criminal himself.
- You should be a UK citizen, an EU national with a right to be in the UK or be a member of HM armed forces. Close relatives are covered by this rule.
If you fit the rules, no win no fee* Baldock lawyers will be able to help you make a criminal injury claim.
No win no fee* Baldock lawyers and the things that can preclude you from making a claim
There are some circumstances under which the CICA will not consider your claim, these are:
- If you did not report the incident to the police
- If you were injured before 1st August 1964
- If you have already applied for compensation for this particular injury through this or any other scheme (this could result in prosecution)
- If the injury happened after 1st October 1979 and you have continued to live with the person who caused the injury
- If the person who injured you could benefit from your award because there is still a close link between you
Your claim can also be affected if you have a criminal record, even if you were in no way to blame for the incident in which you were injured. You may still get compensation, but a reduced amount.
Accident Advice Helpline can help with your criminal injury claim
Accident Advice Helpline have been dealing with injuries from accidents and crimes for over 13 years. We have the experience you need for a quick and efficient conclusion to the traumatic experience you have suffered. Our advisers are highly trained professionals, who are compassionate and will guide you through the complicated processes of a criminal injury claim.Open Claim Calculator
You can contact them on our freephone number, 0800 689 0500, the helpline being open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Your call to Accident Advice helpline will be in complete confidence, and as we operate on a no win no fee* basis, you will not be asked for any money to start your criminal injury claim.