Driving in floods
Flooding is less likely in some areas of the country than others, but this doesn’t mean that all drivers don’t need to know how to drive safely through a flooded area. Burst water mains can cause floods just as much as extreme weather, so there is always a chance that you will encounter an area which is flooded on your drive. If you know how to drive safely through a flood you can avoid a West Dorset car accident or damaging your car, and will also feel more secure as you pass through this area. Here are some tips on navigating a flooded area in your vehicle.
- Never drive through a flood you couldn’t walk through. If the water would be too deep or you to walk through it safely, then you shouldn’t under any circumstances try to drive your car through it.
- Remember that damage can be caused with just 6 inches of water. Anything over 6 inches of water can cause accidents or damage to your car, as the water can be sucked into the exhaust and cause you to lose control or stall.
- Don’t pass through the water with other cars. Take your turn and pass through the flooded section alone. If another car is passing in the opposite direction then let this car pass through before you start moving.
- Drive in the middle of the road. As you shouldn’t be passing other cars then it is fine to get to the middle of the road, where the water is likely to be more shallow and less likely to damage your car or cause an accident.
- Know when a car could float. In around one foot of water your car may start to float. This will result in total loss of control of the car, and will mean that you and your car are stranded.
Claiming compensation for a West Dorset car accident caused by flooding
Flooding can cause drivers to behave differently to how they would on a dry road. If another driver panics then they may cause a West Dorset car accident in which they hit your car. If you sustain any injuries from this West Dorset car accident then you may be able to claim compensation back from the driver at fault.
You can call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile to discuss your accident, and find out whether or not you have a good case for compensation. If you do then you can be passed over to an in house personal injury lawyer, who will work entirely on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve, making the process easier on you and meaning that you shouldn’t have to go to court.