Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we are often approached by people to help them with their personal injury, Stockton-on-Tees claims for carbon monoxide poisoning, an often insidious cause of accidental injury and death. It’s something that often affects younger adults, particularly students living away from home in shared, rented, accommodation while studying for their degrees.
Awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning
It’s not that young people are more prone physically to carbon monoxide poisoning, it’s more a case of awareness; if it’s not something they already know about, or something that their parents have told them about. Carbon monoxide poisoning comes about when fuel doesn’t burn completely. Although it’s not the only cause, faulty gas appliances are the most infamous cause.
Carbon monoxide – an insidious, silent killer
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a insidious, silent, killer. In a closed environment with no access to fresh air, carbon monoxide will lull anybody breathing it in, to sleep. If a person, then continues to inhale it, it will eventually result in death. In other words, it means going to sleep and never waking up again.
How to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning
The best way of avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning in the first place is to ensure that any gas appliances you have where you live are regularly and properly maintained. When you’re talking about gas appliances, it’s important to make sure that the people you use to service and maintain the appliances in your home are “Gas Safe Registered.”
The importance of attributing blame to a third party and making Stockton-on-Tees claims
In order to qualify for financial compensation, any accident or incident that causes an injury has to be attributable to a third party. It cannot be the injury victim’s responsibility. So in the case of carbon monoxide poisoning, if the faulty device is owned by the home owner, its their responsibility to ensure the appliance is correctly maintained. The only way a compensation claim could be considered in this instance is if the maintenance was incorrectly carried out.
Processing Stockton-on-Tees claims for carbon monoxide poisoning via Accident Advice Helpline
In terms of a rented property, it is the landlord’s responsibility to make sure that all appliances are regularly maintained and that they are safe to use. Anyone raising Stockton-on-Tees claims for carbon monoxide poisoning that is attributable to a third party, can enlist the services of Accident Advice Helpline. We can help you to obtain the full compensation that they may be due.
Get your free estimate
To get an estimate of how much compensation you could be awarded, you can use the 30-second test that can be found on our website. Its free and simple to use and will take only 30 seconds of your time.
If you have any queries, we operate a free helpline which can be accessed from any landline on 0800 689 0500, or if using your mobile 0333 500 0993. The no-win, no-fee* service we operate is renowned in the industry and comes unreservedly recommended by well known people’s consumer champion Dame Esther Rantzen.
Date Published: 10th July 2014