Advice following a South Yorkshire accident
You have probably found this article because you’ve been injured in an accident and are thinking about claiming compensation. If your South Yorkshire accident wasn’t your fault then we can probably get you that compensation, but there are several things that you can do to help your claim.
If you are still recovering from your injury the last thing you probably need is a to-do list! But don’t worry, the items on this list won’t take too much of your time and will help your claim move forward quickly so you can draw a line under the whole experience.
What to do after your accident
- Write an account of your South Yorkshire accident; this need not be a literary masterpiece. You just want a decent compensation package. Be sure to include any details that you can remember, something that may seem incidental may turn out to be important.
- If you didn’t receive medical treatment, go and see your doctor about your injury (or illness). This visit will go on your medical record. Please mention the mental/ psychological impact of your South Yorkshire accident – there is no shame in doing so. So if you have been having trouble sleeping or are feeling stressed or anxious tell your GP.
- If there were witnesses to your South Yorkshire accident, take their details and ask if they would be willing to provide a statement if necessary; people are more likely to agree to this at the time of the accident rather than months down the line.
- If you are able to do so, take photos. This is much easier to now we have camera phones. Unless you’re reading this from 1997. So snap your injuries and the damage to any personal property. Take pictures of that pothole, wet floor, loose carpet, or whatever caused your misfortune.
- Keep track of the costs your accident is causing you. Keep receipts and bank statements! Ask for receipts from taxi drivers, child minders, and private medical practitioners. You can claim all of this money back in your claim, but only if you can prove that you spent it in the first place!
- Report your South Yorkshire accident to the relevant authority; if yours was a car accident, report the accident to the police. If your accident was at work make sure it is recorded in the medical book and reported to your employer. Or if uneven paving or a pothole was the cause of your woes complain to your local council -if you are unsure about who is liable for your accident the give us a call, we may be able to help you.
For more information about personal injury compensation please call our helpline on 0800 689 0500. Or call 0333 500 0993 if using a mobile. Our lines are open 24/7 and all calls are confidential.