Prevent repetitive strain injury – serious injury lawyers in Rushyford
In many jobs there is the possibility that you could suffer from repetitive strain injury. Repetitive strain injury (RSI) is common in many office jobs, as a result of typing day in day out, but RSI could also be caused by doing any task over and over again, as this put pressure on the part of your body that you are using to complete the task. There are things that both you and your employer can do to prevent repetitive strain injury, and you should know what these are so that you can keep yourself protected.
Reduce muscle stress
In an office job, you wouldn’t expect to be under particular muscle stress day in day out. However, sitting at a computer and typing can actually be significantly stressful for your body, and can cause RSI.
- Sit comfortably at your desk. Your chair should be at the right level for your arms and hands to rest easily at your keyboard and you should be resting comfortably with the chair supporting your back.
- Sit upright and place both feet flat on the floor. Hunching can lead to posture problems as well as injury.
- Don’t use wrist rests. Although these were invented to help prevent against RSI, they can actually make the problem worse. Keep your wrists straight and your hands extended over the keyboard.
Rest and stretch
You should take plenty of breaks when you are doing any kind of repetitive activity, including typing. Work for half an hour and then take 5 minutes to stand up and walk around, stretch out your muscles and joints and so on.
- Stretching your wrists can help to prevent RSI.
- Push both palms together in front of your chest and undulate them from side to side.
- Rotate your hands both clockwise and anti-clockwise
- Stretch out each of your fingers and expand and contract around your palm.
Make your desk comfortable
- Get an adjustable keyboard that can adjust to how you type and the height at which you are sitting and using the keyboard.
- Make sure that your desk is the right height for you, and that your chair puts you in the right position for typing.
- Use a proper computer chair for your desk, rather than a standard chair, as computer chairs are better suited to support your back.
If you need serious injury lawyers in Rushyford
If you have been injured during an accident at work, or because of the negligence of your employer, you may be able to claim compensation through serious injury lawyers in Rushyford. It is best to use serious injury lawyers in Rushyford for any compensation claim as they will know the law better, and be able to get your claim processed effectively.
Accident Advice Helpline has over 16 years experience with personal injury compensation claims, and will supply dedicated serious injury lawyers in Rushyford to work on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve. Call our helpline 24/7 on 0800 689 0500/0333 500 0993 from a mobile to speak to someone who can help, and make a start on your claim.
Date Published: 1st November 2013
Author: David Brown