How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Personal injury lawyer in Prescot

    Criminal injuries

    You may be able to make a personal injury compensation claim if you have unfortunately been a victim of a violent crime sometime with the last two years, and the injuries you sustained as a result needed medical attention.

    What are the criteria?

    There are several rules you have to fit for the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) to consider your criminal injury claim. For example:

    • You were not to blame for the incident;
    • You sustained the injury while taking an exceptional and justified risk, while trying to remedy or prevent a crime;
    • You sustained a mental injury as a result of witnessing or being involved in the immediate aftermath of an incident in which a loved one is injured;
    • You are the qualifying relative of a victim who has died from injuries caused by a crime of violence;
    • The incident should have been reported to the police;
    • You should have helped the police with their enquiries;
    • You should be a British citizen or an EU national with a right to be within the UK;
    • The incident should have happened within the last two years, unless you were under 18 at the time in which case the rules alter slightly to allow you more time; and
    • You were the direct victim of a violent crime.

    If you fit somewhere within the above criteria, you may well be eligible to make a criminal injury claim, and a personal injury lawyer in Prescot can help you to do so.

    What will CICA pay for?

    CICA administer the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. It is government-funded to compensate the victims of violent crimes. The government realise that no amount of money can compensate you for your experience, but intend for the award to be a show of public sympathy for your injuries.

    The amounts for each type of injury are decided by Parliament. The scheme covers:

    Open Claim Calculator

    • Special expenses payments, to cover specific injury-related requirements which are not free of charge from any source;
    • Fatal injuries, including loss of parental services and financial dependency;
    • Funeral payments;
    • Personal injury following a single incident;
    • Personal injury following a period of abuse; and
    • Loss of earnings.

    Accident Advice Helpline

    Accident Advice Helpline can help you to make your criminal injury compensation claim. Being the victim of a violent crime is a traumatic and distressing experience, without having to go through the stress of making a personal injury claim. Let Accident Advice Helpline take that stress away and deal with matters for you.

    A personal injury lawyer in Prescot at Accident Advice Helpline will have a wealth of knowledge in dealings with these type of claims, and will make the whole process as trouble-free as possible for you. Many claims are dealt with completely over the phone.

    Call our helpline on 0800 180 4123 and speak to one of our friendly advisors. They will discuss your claim with you, give you free no-obligation advice and start the processes, should you decide you want to proceed.

    Date Published: 10th March 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.