If you have been in an accident, or been the victim of a violent crime and it was not your fault and you have been injured as a result, you may be able to make an injury claim. But there are time limits that apply to make your claim valid.
Finding a personal injury lawyer in Portlethen and injuries from violent crimes
The time limits vary according to the type of crime or accident involved, but generally are:
- Accidents to minors, if not claimed for at the time, can be claimed up to their 21st birthday
- An accident must have been within the last 3 years
- If the accident was on board a ship or plane, it must have been within the last 2 years
- Because of the length of time industrial diseases can take to develop, sometimes up to 40 years, you have 3 years from the date of diagnosis to make your claim
- Crimes of violence have a 2 year time limit
- Crimes against minors, that are not claimed for at the time, can be claimed for before they reach their 20th birthday
These times limits are usually strictly adhered to, but in a particular case there were exceptional circumstances why the personal injury claim was not made within them there may be changes to these limits, but this is very rare.
Using a personal injury lawyer in Portlethen for an accident
There are numerous amounts of accidents and crimes that can happen, and do happen every day in the UK. Some are more serious than others, such as:
- Slips, trips or falls in a public place
- Bicycle accidents
- Being the victim of a violent crime
- Food poisoning
- Holiday accidents
- Industrial illness or disease
- Faulty product accidents
- Medical negligence
- Dental accidents
- Accidents at work
- Car crashes
- Motorbike accidents
You may be entitled to make a personal injury claim, using a personal injury lawyer in Portlethen or elsewhere, if you are involved in any of these accidents, or any other accident, that was not your fault, and it falls with the time limits.
About Accident Advice Helpline
For over 15 years, we at Accident Advice Helpline have been giving free advice to non-fault victims of accidents and have helped many thousands of them receive the personal injury compensation to which they were entitled.
On our website there is a 30-second test which will help you decide if you qualify to claim, and if you do will give you a rough guide as to the amount you may be awarded.
We operate a conditional fee agreement, more commonly known as no-win, no-fee, you need no money to start your claim, and we do not receive any payment until your case has been won and finalised.
Our helpline is open now on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993. You can speak to one of our highly trained friendly and helpful advisors who are there to help you through the processes of making a personal injury compensation claim. Call us now to talk about finding a personal injury lawyer in Portlethen or anywhere in Scotland and the UK.
Date Published: 7th March 2014
Author: David Brown