If you decide to pursue a personal injury claim then of course it is important to you to find out as much as you can about the likely compensation amounts you may receive. Here we give some answers to common queries we receive at Accident Advice Helpline.
Will you be able to give me an idea of likely compensation amounts?
As every case is different, we cannot give you definitive information about compensation amounts until your claim has been processed. However, by using Accident Advice Helpline’s unique 30-second compensation calculator, you will have some idea of how much money you could be entitled to receive as a result of your injury claim.
How are likely compensation amounts calculated?
The specialist lawyer who has been assigned to deal with your claim will build a case for financial compensation which can be awarded under two category definitions: Special damages and general damages.
Special damages award can be precisely calculated and include:
- Loss of earnings.
- Medical expenses.
- Travel expenses to and from medical appointments.
- Expenses or the cost of essential services which you now require as a result of living with any disabilities caused by the accident.
- Cost of repairs to any property that was damaged as a result of your accident.
By their very nature, general damages are more subjective and therefore difficult to calculate precisely. Factors which affect the amount of general damages you can be awarded include:
- The extent to which you have suffered as a result of your accident.
- The degree to which you have experienced loss of amenity as a result of your injury or illness – i.e. the negative impact on the quality of your life brought about by an inability to attend sports clubs or social events, which you regularly attended prior to the accident.
What can I do to ensure I am awarded compensation?
Likely compensation amounts are calculated based on evidence and a clear comparison between the life you led prior to and after the accident in which you suffered injury or illness. It is therefore imperative that you keep as many receipts, medical reports and items of correspondence as you can which will be used to support your case.
How can Accident Advice Helpline help me get the compensation amounts I deserve?
Since the year 2000, Accident Advice Helpline has successfully brought compensation to thousands of victims who have been injured through no fault of their own in accidents in public areas, on the road, or in the workplace. Endorsed by consumer champion Dame Esther Rantzen, we are proud of our reputation for integrity, dependability, reliability and integrity. Making a compensation claim through Accident Advice Helpline will give you:
- Access to our dedicated helpline on 0800 689 0500 (landline) or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile phone
- Expert advice and representation from a specialist injury lawyer.
- The peace of mind that you probably won’t have to attend court.
- The knowledge that you will not have to pay anything up-front; our expert solicitors work on a no-win, no-fee basis.
Date Published: 6th March 2013
Author: David Brown