Each year, hundreds of people sustain serious injuries in road traffic accidents on the hard shoulder lanes of motorways and dual carriageways.
Hard shoulder safety tips
If you suspect there may be something wrong with your vehicle whilst you are on a motorway or dual carriageway, you should pull onto the hard shoulder and park as far away from the road as possible. Once you have parked your vehicle, you should keep the following safety tips at the forefront of your mind:
- Switch on your hazard lights to alert other road users of your presence.
- Exit and enter your vehicle from the passenger side to avoid the oncoming traffic.
- Do not attempt to repair your vehicle while you are on the hard shoulder. Use your mobile phone to call your breakdown company for assistance. Alternatively, find the nearest emergency telephone by following the blue and white marker posts.
- When walking along the hard shoulder, stay as far away from the traffic as possible. Do not cross the carriageway to reach an emergency telephone.
- When waiting for your breakdown company, stay behind the crash barrier or on the embankment. You will be more likely to be involved in a road traffic accident if you wait inside of your car.
- If it is not possible for you to wait outside of your vehicle, sit in the front passenger seat with your doors locked.
- Once your vehicle is roadworthy once again, you should return to the motorway or dual carriageway using the hard shoulder as an acceleration lane.
Suffered an accident on the roads? You may need an accident lawyer in Romford
If you are unlucky enough to suffer a personal injury in a motorway accident that was not your fault, you may be able to claim compensation through an accident lawyer in Romford. At Accident Advice Helpline, our expert lawyers have considerable experience in recovering compensation settlements for motorway accidents, and they can provide you with sympathetic advice on all aspects of your claim.
If your motorway accident claim is successful, and your accident lawyer in Romford will work hard to ensure that this is the case, you will receive a compensation settlement that adequately reflects not only the pain and suffering you have gone through but also the financial losses and expenses you have encountered.
To find out more about hiring an accident lawyer in Romford through Accident Advice Helpline, please call our freephone helpline or use our 30-second test.
Date Published: 3rd March 2014
Author: Jan Newell