The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme is government funded to compensate the innocent victims of violent crime, and if you are in this situation you may be entitled to make a criminal injury claim. Your claim would be submitted to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority that administer the scheme, and injury solicitors in Derby Haven could help you with this.
The rules about making a criminal injuries claim
- The incident should have happened within the last 2 years, unless there are exceptional circumstances or you were under 18 when the rules are adjusted slightly.
- You were the innocent victim of a violent crime or abuse
- You reported the incident to the police without delay
- You helped the police with their enquires to give them the best possible chance of apprehending the assailant
- You are a British citizen or an EU national who has the right to be in the UK
If you suffered injuries that needed medical attention under the circumstances above, you are entitled to make a criminal injury claim.
Are there things that exclude me from making a claim?
Yes, there are certain circumstances in which you would not be eligible to make a criminal injury claim. If the injury you sustained was:
- Because of a suicide attempt, unless the suicidal person acted with intent to cause you harm or injury
- Because of a vehicle, unless the vehicle was used with the intent to cause harm or injury
- From an animal attack, unless the animal was used to cause harm or injury
- In the usual course of a sport or activity to which you consented by taking part
- As a result of harmful substances being willingly ingested by the mother during pregnancy with intent to cause harm to the foetus
Claiming compensation: Injury solicitors in Derby Haven or Accident Advice Helpline
The easiest and most stress-free way to make your claim is to contact Accident Advice Helpline. We were established over 13 years ago, to give access to justice for the blameless victims of accidents and crimes. We operate on a no-win, no-fee basis, and that means exactly what it says. You will not have to find any money to start your claim or pay us solicitors’ fees if your claim is lost.
Although we do not have injury solicitors in Derby Haven we can still represent you and your claim. This is because we are a national firm that works across the whole of the UK. So if you need injury solicitors in Derby Haven look no further than our expert service.
On our website, there is a 30-second test. This is designed to give you some guidance as to the amount of compensation you can expect to be awarded.
Or you can call our helpline on our freephone number, 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone. Our friendly advisers are waiting to discuss your case with you and start your claim should you wish to proceed.