How to make an accident report
If you are in a road accident, it is important that you make an accident report with the police. In some cases you will be able to do this at the scene, as in major road accidents someone will inevitably call the emergency services as soon as the accident occurs. But in more minor accidents it may not be necessary for the police to come out to the scene of the accident, and therefore they will not become involved until later.
It is actually a legal requirement in the UK that every accident is reported to the police, so you will need to go and make your report within 24 hours of the accident. This will also help with your insurance and any compensation claims. Here is how you can make an accident report to the police:
- Note the accident details as soon as possible. Before you do anything else, as soon as you get a moment you need to write down all of the details of the accident. This includes the date, time, exact address and weather conditions. If anything else seems important about the accident, then you can note this down as well.
- Write down your own details. On the same sheet of paper, put down your name, address, date of birth and the details of your vehicle. This includes the registration number, make and model or your car, and so on.
- Put down the names of passengers and the other driver involved. At the scene you should have gotten the other driver’s details for insurance purposes. These details need to go with your to file a complete police report. You should also note down the names and dates of birth of any passengers in your vehicle, and any travelling with the other driver if you have this information.
- Write down a description of the incident. Include details such as how quickly you were travelling, whether or not you were wearing a seatbelt and so on. Do not lie at this juncture, as if you are found out you may have legal action taken against you.
- Go to the police station or call your local station to start filing your report with the details you have.
When to contact an injury lawyer in Mansfield
If the accident in which you were involved was not your fault, then you may want to contact an injury lawyer in Mansfield to start making a claim for compensation against the other driver. The best way to find a good injury lawyer in Mansfield is through Accident Advice Helpline.
We have over 15 years’ experience in the field of personal injury compensation claims and will work with you on a 100% no win no fee* basis to get you the compensation that you deserve. You will have an injury lawyer in Mansfield who will work on your behalf, and you shouldn’t even have to go to court.
Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 to speak to someone who can help.Open Claim Calculator