Make your injury claim in Pudsey for an asbestos-related injury
Asbestos is a building material that was widely used in the construction industry in the late 19th and early 20th centuries because of its fire retardant quality, its cheap cost and its high electrical resistance. Asbestos-related injuries occur when fibres of asbestos are released into the air and inhaled into the lungs. The fibres of asbestos are large and sharp, causing them to penetrate the lung tissue.
There are many different asbestos-related illnesses that you could sustain:
- Asbestosis occurs as a result of inhaling the sharp asbestos fibres into the lung. The body’s response is to produce acid to try and expel them. Unfortunately, this acid causes scarring of the lung, and over a period of time the lungs fail to function. Asbestosis gradually develops after 10 to 20 years of exposure.
- Mesothelioma is a cancer of the mesothelial lining of the lung, the pericardium, the lining of the chest and the peritoneum. It is not caused by smoking, but by inhaling asbestos fibres, and it develops after 20 to 50 years of exposure.
- Cancer of the larynx, lung, gastrointestinal tract and kidney are linked with exposure to asbestos after a period of 15 to 30 years.
Your employer has a legal duty to protect the health and safety of their employees, including not putting them at risk by exposure to asbestos.
Asbestos fibres — the risks
As asbestos was routinely used in construction until it was banned in 1999, many properties may still contain asbestos. Asbestos fibres may become airborne through:
- The use of power tools such as drills penetrating asbestos;
- Manually cutting or drilling asbestos;
- Disturbing asbestos by crushing or smashing to remove the materials; and
- Removal of material through demolition of buildings containing asbestos.
Making your injury claim in Pudsey for your asbestos-related injury
If you, or some one close to you, has suffered an asbestos-related injury through no fault of their own, you or they are legally entitled to make an injury claim in Pudsey. Accident Advice Helpline have over 15 years’ experience of processing personal injury compensation claims for asbestos-related injuries.
Call us on 0800 689 0500 to speak to one of our sensitive and friendly advisers, who can inform you of your rights to claim and discuss the claims process with you. By providing relevant and up to date information on the legislation on asbestos-related injuries, they can answer any queries that you may have professionally and reliably.
Take part in our unique online 30-second test to find out if you can qualify today to start your injury claim in Pudsey. Accident Advice Helpline are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to take your call and pursue your injury claim in Pudsey.
Date Published: 11th September 2013