What to do if you break down on the motorway
It can be terrifying if you break down or have a Grangemouth car accident on the motorway. With all of the other cars hurtling along at speed, your car is at risk of being hit, and the longer you are stranded on the motorway, the more likely it is that you will be injured as well. If you do have a breakdown or a Grangemouth car accident on the motorway, you should have a charged phone close by which will allow you to call for help and get away from this area as soon as possible. However, there are other things you can do, and it helps to know these in advance so you can deal with the situation quickly and easily.
- Pull over to the hard shoulder. Although you are not allowed to stop on the hard shoulder of the motorway, for your own safety, in an emergency, this is the safest place for you, and will prevent you sitting out in front of other moving cars.
- Turn on your hazard lights. Other vehicles need to know that there is a problem, and also need to be aware that there is a vehicle there, so put on your hazards to warn others.
- Get out of the car via the left hand door. Even if the motorway looks fairly clear, there is never any excuse for opening your right hand door into traffic. This could easily cause an accident, or prove fatal to you if another car appears whilst you are getting out.
- Call for help. Call the breakdown service if you have broken down and the emergency services if you have been involved in an accident.
- Don’t try to repair the car on your own. On the motorway is not the time or place to try to fix your own car. You need to be getting off of the motorway as fast as you can, before any repairs take place.
Claiming compensation for a Grangemouth car accident
You may feel that a Grangemouth car accident that you have had was actually the fault of another driver. If you feel that you have evidence to prove this, then you may be able to make a claim for compensation against them. Compensation can help to pay for medical bills and therapies, help around the house whilst you are still recovering and so on.
More importantly, it gives you a financial buffer during a difficult financial time in your life. Accident Advice Helpline can provide you with experienced personal injury lawyers who can work on your claim on your behalf. You can call the helpline on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile to speak to the team and make a start on your claim immediately.