What if I have a fractured wrist?
A fractured wrist is usually caused by a fall, or by the force from a collision with a stationary object. They generally take six to eight weeks to heal in adults, less time in children and a little longer in elderly people.
How you will know if you have a fractured wrist
You will know if you have a fractured wrist because:
- The wrist will be very painful
- There will be swelling or tenderness around the injured area
- You may hear a snap when the breaks happens if it is a clean break
- If the skin has been damaged you may have some bleeding
What you should do if you have a fractured wrist
You should go to your local accident and emergency department, but before you do:
- Try not to eat or drink anything, you may need a general anesthetic if surgery is necessary.
- You can stabilise the injury by using a towel as a sling.
- Take an ice pack with you, it will help reduce the swelling and the pain, but never put the ice directly onto the skin, always wrap it in something first, such as a tea towel. A bag of frozen peas will do the job very well.
- Try to get someone else to drive, as you will be unable to control the car properly.
- If it is your child that has a fractured wrist, get someone else to drive as the child is likely to be distressed and will need comforting.
What to do if the fractured wrist was not your fault
If you have sustained this injury because of someone else, you may be entitled to make a personal injury compensation claim.
You should contact Accident Advice Helpline, the experts in dealing with all types of personal injury claims, with all types of injuries caused by endless types of accidents.Open Claim Calculator
Since 2000 we have been helping claimants get the compensation to which they were entitled and have done so whilst providing a high quality customer service that gives complete satisfaction. Our reputation precedes us; we are one of the leading companies in the personal injury claim industry and endeavor to be the best. We have four ideals that we stick to through thick and thin, integrity, reliability, dependability and accountability, ideals that have made us as successful as we are today, ideals that will ensure we continue to thrive in the future.
We have an online claim form you can complete, or you could try our 30-second test for guidance about the outcome of your claim.
Alternatively, you could call our helpline on our freephone number, 0800 689 0500 or from your mobile on 0333 500 0993 and speak to one of our friendly advisors, they will keep your call confidential and will only start the process if you decide you wish to proceed with your personal injury compensation claim, you will be under no obligation to do so.