How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Fatal workplace accidents

    Losing a loved one is devastating experience for any family. And if their death was somebody else’s fault, because of an accident at work or on the road or medical negligence it can be even harder to come to terms with. But in such cases, compensation is your legal right and can bring a sense of justice, which can help you start putting your life back together.

    Claiming compensation for fatal workplace accidents

    Claiming compensation is probably the last thing on your mind when you are coping with bereavement. When your loved one has died suddenly and unexpectedly, the strain of dealing with the formalities such as the inquest, funeral and will, as well as everyday arrangements like childcare can be quite overwhelming.  But the loss of a family member can also lead to financial hardship and other worries, especially if they were the main breadwinner or a mother caring for young children. Whilst a financial settlement can never fully compensate you for your loss, it can help ease the financial burden if you are left without your spouse or partner.

    It is therefore worth giving serious thought to making a claim for compensation. Accident Advice Helpline is one of the UK’s leading personal injury law firms and we have a team of specialist solicitors who have considerable experience of dealing with claims for fatal accidents including road traffic accidents, accidents on holiday and accidents at work.

    What are the rules on compensation for fatal workplace accidents?

    Under the Fatal Accidents Act 1976, the law provides for a fixed bereavement payment to the husband, wife or civil partner of the deceased. Either parent is entitled to claim a bereavement payment for a deceased child who was an unmarried minor.

    In addition, dependants can claim a sum which takes into account the income of the deceased and the number of dependants relying on that income. A number of close relations can be classed as dependants in the eyes of the law including husband, wife, civil partner, cohabiting partner (for a minimum continuous period of two years prior to death), parents, children, brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles.

    Open Claim Calculator

    A compensation settlement will also cover reasonable funeral costs.

    The fatality must normally have happened within the last three years in order for you to have a valid claim for compensation, and there must be evidence that somebody else was at fault due to their negligence. Your specialist solicitor will work with the police to establish this.

    Speak to our fatal workplace accidents specialists

    Contact Accident Advice Helpline for a free, no-obligation initial discussion. Our highly trained advisors will talk through your case with you in detail to establish whether you might be eligible for compensation. We understand that this will probably be a difficult process for you, but we will support you throughout the entire process and promise to handle your claim with the utmost sensitivity.

    You can call our helpline on 0800 699 0500 via a landline or 0333 500 0993 on your mobile to talk to one of our expert team about fatal workplace accidents specialists.

    Date Published: 10th February 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.