How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • **Required

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Claim compensation for housing disrepair

    100% No-Win No-Fee*

    Claim compensation for housing disrepair

    Claim compensation for housing disrepair

    Whether you are renting a property from your local council, a housing association or a private landlord, you have a right to be provided with a safe place in which to live. If you are residing in a poorly maintained property and your landlord is refusing to fix any problems you have encountered, help is at hand if you are injured and need to claim compensation for housing disrepair.

    Claim compensation for housing disrepair in these circumstances

    A property may be classed as unfit for habitation if it is suffering from any of the following states of disrepair:

    • Structural problems.
    • Leaking water pipes and other water-related installations, such as baths, showers, sinks and toilets.
    • Faulty gas pipes and electrical wiring.
    • Central heating system problems.
    • Dampness.
    • Rotten windows and doors.
    • Leaking gutters and roofs.
    • Vermin infestations.

    Property disrepairs are many and varied in their nature. You should therefore seek tailored advice before making housing disrepair claims.

    If you have a valid claim, you may also be able to claim compensation for:

    • Any inconvenience or disruption caused by failure to repair.
    • Damage to your personal belongings, such as clothing and bedding spoiled by damp or mould
    • Any personal injuries or health problems caused by the disrepair, such as respiratory illnesses resulting from damp conditions.
    • Any financial losses suffered as a result of your landlord’s failure to respond to your disrepair complaints.

    Time restraints to claim compensation for housing disrepair

    You can make housing disrepair claims even if you no longer reside at the property in question. In order to make a compensation claim, you will require evidence of the damages sustained to the property and any complaints made to your landlord.

    You must make your claim within six years of your landlord first becoming aware of your grievances. However, this time limit is reduced to three years if you also wish to make a claim for personal injury compensation. For this reason, you should not delay in starting your housing disrepair claims.

    Proceeding with your claim

    Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we have used our expertise to help thousands of people who have been forced to reside in poorly maintained properties.

    If you believe you are eligible to claim compensation for housing disrepair, you can call our helpline and talk to one of our friendly professional advisors at any time. Your call will be treated in confidence and you will be under no obligation to proceed with your claim.

    Call us now on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone (charges may apply).

    Category: Personal injury claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.