Common reasons for winter breakdowns and how to avoid a car accident
It is more likely that you will breakdown or have a Blantyre car accident in winter than in the summer. This is because your vehicle needs to deal with certain extremes of weather in the winter that it otherwise wouldn’t in summer. If you are involved in a Blantyre car accident or have a breakdown in winter, it is more dangerous for you to be left in the freezing cold waiting for help. For this reason, it is helpful to know the main causes of breakdowns in winter, so that you can avoid this happening to you, or causing a Blantyre car accident.
- Frozen door locks and seals. In very cold conditions you may go to open your car and find that you cannot. This can cause damage to the car in the long run, even if you are able to get the doors open before you head out. Clear snow from your car as soon as it falls.
- Frozen windscreen wipers. Although this may seem like a very minor problem when it comes to what can go wrong with a car, trying to make windscreen wipers work when they are frozen to the window can blow fuses in the car.
- Frozen engine. A frozen engine will only occur, even in the most extreme weather conditions, if there is not enough antifreeze in the vehicle. Make sure to check your levels all through the winter.
- Frozen ignition locks. The best way to stop this from happening in very cold or snowy conditions is to keep the inside of the car warm and dry as much as you possibly can. Try to avoid leaving wet clothing or blankets in the car overnight if you can help it.
- Frozen drum brakes and handbrake cables. This is more likely to happen because of the salt on the road, and can be avoided if you give the car a thorough cleaning.
When to claim compensation after a Blantyre car accident
If you were involved in a car accident, and are sure that your accident was not caused by yourself but the other driver, you may be able to claim compensation for your injuries. The best way to do this is through an injury lawyer, who will know the law better than you and be able to put together a strong case for compensation, which has a better chance of being successful.
Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0933 from a mobile phone to speak to the team about your accident. They will be able to help you decide whether you have a good case for a compensation claim and, if you do, pass you over to an experienced personal injury lawyer who can make a start on your claim.
Date Published: 13th June 2014
Author: David Brown