When an accident at work in Northumberland is mentioned, people tend to think of things going wrong in factories, on building sites or maybe in a warehouse or shop. Very few of them would consider that the accident at work in Northumberland could have happened in an office, as most people consider them a safe place to be.
An accident at work in Northumberland often happens in an office
Of course it is in a different way, but working in an office can cause some serious injuries just like accidents do in other trades and professions.
- You trip over trailing wires from a computer, bang your head on the corner of a desk as you fall and get knocked out.
- Photocopiers are not a dangerous piece of equipment unless you have to use them often, and then the light they emit can damage your eyes.
- Offices are often a closed environment, even a large open plan office usually has all its windows and doors shut. Germs spread quickly in this situation.
- Constant use of a keyboard can cause problems such as carpal tunnel syndrome, and research has recently shown that a keyboard generally has more germs on it than a toilet seat!
- Repetitive strain injuries (RSI) are very common among office workers, as are back problems because of bad seating.
- Computer screens can cause headaches and eyestrain if the proper precautions are not taken.
- Loose carpets or flooring can cause victims to have a slip, trip or fall accident.
- Electric shocks are another common office accident.
The precautions to prevent an accident at work in Northumberland
All of these accidents could be prevented if the employer took the proper precautions and had the health and safety measures in place to deal with them.
- Make sure there are no trailing wires.
- The use of a photocopier should be restricted, with plenty of breaks away from the machine.
- If it is not possible to have doors and windows open, air purifiers should be used.
- Using wrist rests can prevent injuries from keyboards, as these alter the position of the wrists easing the pressure on them. The keyboards should be regularly cleaned with antiseptic cleaning materials.
- RSI and back problems can usually be avoided by making sure the chair is right for its occupant, and making sure the employee has plenty of breaks from actions that are constantly repeated.
- Screen guards are available that take any glare off a screen and again, regular breaks away from the computer will help.
- Make sure that there are no loose carpets or flooring.
- Ensure that all electrical items are regularly checked; this is a requirement by law.
Claiming compensation for an accident at work in Northumberland.
If you have been injured in any type of accident that was not your fault, contacting Accident Advice Helpline is the sensible thing to do. We can help you get the compensation you are legally entitled to, and will do so as quickly and efficiently as possible.Open Claim Calculator
If you want to discuss your accident in more detail call our advisers on 0800 689 0500 from your land line, or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile now.