According to the Health and Safety Executive more than 27 million working days were lost in the UK alone in 2011/2012 as a result of workplace illnesses and injuries.
Providing an accident free workplace to prevent work-related injuries
Even the most innocuous looking accident can cause serious injuries and it’s important for employers to follow safety guidelines to protect their employees. It’s not impossible to create a safe workplace and it doesn’t cost the earth; often, implementing simple changes can make a massive difference. Here are some tips for reducing the risk of accidents at work:
- ensure warning signs are placed by uneven surfaces, slippery floors and hidden steps
- carry out regular risk assessments and address areas of concern
- ensure that maintenance checks are up to date
- keep surfaces and flooring in good repair
- encourage staff to take short, regular breaks and promote good posture
- provide the relevant safety equipment
- make sure that spillages are mopped up as quickly as possible
Am I at fault for a work accident?
Everyone has the right to work in a safe environment and employers have a duty to ensure that the workplace is void of hazards. Sometimes, it is impossible to prevent accidents, but often they are caused by factors and circumstances which could have been avoided.
If you had a work accident and it wasn’t your fault, it is likely that you are entitled to work injury compensation. Examples of this may include:Open Claim Calculator
- if you slipped on a wet floor and there was no warning sign
- if you tripped over a step, which was not clearly marked
- if you tripped on uneven flooring or frayed carpet
- if you had an accident as a result of machinery not working properly
- if you suffered an accident as a result of not being provided with suitable protective equipment or clothing
If you think you may have a case for work injury compensation, call Accident Advice Helpline today. Their expert legal team has experience in travel accident compensation, slip, trip and fall claims and car crash claims, and has helped hundreds of people to claim compensation since 2000.
The firm is endorsed by Esther Rantzen, TV consumer rights champion and provides a simple and stress-free claims process. The majority of clients do not have to appear in court and most of the information needed can be gathered via telephone.