If you are a truck driver and you have been injured in an accident while at work, you could be entitled to make a truck driver accident claim. To find out more about how to go about doing this, call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone.
Truck driver accidents in the UK
Driving a commercial vehicle is one of the most dangerous jobs in the United Kingdom. Although truck drivers face a number of hazards while at work, the greatest risk is probably that of being involved in a road accident. Some of the most common causes of road accidents involving trucks include the following:
- Weather conditions on the road. Although bad weather affects all drivers, high winds have a particular impact on lorry drivers. A strong wind can exert a tremendous force on the trailer of a heavy goods vehicle, which can cause the driver to lose control.
- Tired drivers. Truck drivers are generally only allowed to drive for a maximum of nine hours per day. In addition, for every 4.5 hours on the road, a driver must rest for 45 minutes. Breaks should not be shorter than 15 minutes and no other work should be performed during a break.
- Unsafe vehicles. Any truck older than three years should be put through an MOT every 12 months as it is absolutely essential that the truck you are driving is road worthy.
- Foreign drivers. Drivers who enter the UK in foreign vehicles are at an automatic disadvantage as they are positioned to drive on the other side of the road. This often leads to accidents caused by blind spots.
- Load safety. Before loading a vehicle, one needs to understand what causes a load to shift during transport and how to pack properly to prevent this. It is essential that employees have the proper training to pack loads correctly.
In addition to road accidents, truck drivers can also be injured while at work in the depot. The most frequent work-related accidents include being injured by falling objects while packing or unpacking a load, injuries through slips, trips and falls and back problems caused by driving over long distances. Whatever the cause of your truck driver accident, you could be entitled to claim for compensation.
How do I know if I can make a truck driver accident claim?
The best way to find out whether you can make a truck driver accident claim is to phone Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone. We offer a free legal helpline that is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. When you call, one of our legal advisers will ask you a few simple questions in order to determine whether you are entitled to claim for compensation.
If you have a good case, your claim will be handed over to one of our expert personal injury lawyers who will take the case forward on a 100% ‘no win, no fee*’* basis.
Give Accident Advice Helpline a call now on and let us help you claim the compensation that you are entitled to.
Date Published: May 4, 2014
Author: David Brown