It’s summer and that means one thing: it’s time to dust down the family barbecue and get out in the garden! Barbecues and garden gatherings are great. They are also hazardous, and hundreds of people visit emergency departments each year with injuries caused by accidents in the garden and slips, trips, and falls.
Family barbecue safety: Preventing accidents and slips and trips
Barbecues are often social events, which attract large crowds of family members and friends. Often, there are children running around and maybe a few pets on the loose; factor in the risk of naked flames and potential cooking disasters, and as a result barbecues can be pretty dangerous.
If you are hosting a family barbecue, here are some simple steps. To reduce the risk of accidents like burns, and injuries caused by falling you should:
- Keep children and pets away from the barbecue at all times
- Ensure all meat is cooked through
- Keep an eye on the barbecue at all times and do not leave it unattended
- Ensure that you choose a stable, robust barbecue
- Make sure that your barbecue is in good working order before you use it; this is particularly important if you haven’t used it for a while
- Never pour petrol or any chemical, which is used to accelerate a fire, onto a barbecue; this can result in serious burns
- Use tools with long handles, to prevent burning your fingers
- Never light a barbecue in an enclosed space
- Place the barbecue away from tables and chairs and any other obstructions, which people may trip or fall over
If you are barbecuing in a public place and you are using a disposable barbecue, take great care when disposing of the foil tray; wait until it has cooled before placing it in a rubbish bin.
Slips and trips can happen anywhere, from your back garden or the pavement outside your house, to the supermarket or local library. If you’ve had a slip in a public place and you were injured through no fault of your own, you may be able to claim for slip, trip or fall compensation.Open Claim Calculator
Accident Advice Helpline handles road traffic accident claims, work accident compensation and travel compensation and is supported by TV consumer rights campaigner, Esther Rantzen. If you were involved in a public place incident in the last three years, give the legal team a call today.