As views and natural environments go, few places in the world, let alone the United Kingdom, can hold a candle to the Lake District. Rolling hills, glittering waters and looming mountains combine to create a vast landscape that is as appetising and appealing as it is fraught with risks and potential sources of holiday injuries.
Exploring the Lake District without due care and attention can end in disaster and the pursuit of travel accident compensation. Fortunately, there are numerous things you can do to help make sure your visit is unforgettable for all the right reasons.
How can I avoid an accident on holiday in the Lake District?
The first thing is to make sure you know exactly where you are and where you plan on going. The Lakes are a vast, sprawling mass of countryside and getting lost is both easy to do and hard to put right.
In terms of exploring, your pre-journey checks should include:
- Ensuring someone back at base, either friends or hotel staff, knows both where you are going and what time you are expecting to be back. This way, if disaster does strike and you suffer an injury whilst travelling, the alarm can be raised quickly.
- Ensuring you have the numbers of the hotel, friends and emergency services stored, a map and torch, a fully charged mobile phone and a compass. It is unwise to be overly reliant on one form of help.
Contained within your travelling pack should be:
- Plenty of high energy food, such as protein bars and energy tablets.
- Enough food and water to last you should you need to wait for rescue following a travelling accident.
- Clothes for all weather. The British climate can change at the drop of a hat and the Lake District is no different. Fleeces, raincoats, sun hats and shades should all be packed.
It’s also advisable to take some form of first aid kit to treat any holiday injuries that you are able to, or at least limit the impact of more serious accidents whilst travelling.
It’s important to remember that, following an accident, you may be due some holiday injury compensation. Accident Advice Helpline is a law firm with over fourteen years’ experience in these types of cases, as well as road traffic accidents and injuries at work.
They can help with every step of your case on a no win, no fee* basis.