Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Staying gas safe at home

If you rent a flat or house and you have suffered injuries caused by a faulty boiler, you might find yourself wondering who is actually at fault for your accident. Whilst staying gas safe at home is your own responsibility when you own a property, when you’re renting, it is your landlord who is legally responsible for your safety in relation to gas safety. By law, there are things that they must do to ensure that your property is safe and habitable. If they fail to do these things and you are injured as a result, you could make a no win no fee personal injury claim with Accident Advice Helpline.

What are a landlord’s responsibilities when it comes to staying gas safe at home?

Staying gas safe at home starts with the things your landlord must do – they must:

  • Ensure that an annual gas safety check is carried out on all appliances and flues
  • Keep a record of this safety check
  • Repair and maintain all flues, appliances and pipework

They can’t carry out a gas safety check themselves, even if they are a plumber or were once trained as a gas engineer. By law, a gas safety check needs to be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. You can ask to see a copy of the gas safety check from your landlord, if you are concerned about gas safety in your property. A faulty boiler could explode, causing serious injuries or even fatalities, whilst a leaking boiler could cause scalds and burns. You could even suffer carbon monoxide poisoning from a malfunctioning boiler, and often this isn’t detected until it is too late.

Claiming personal injury compensation for boiler injuries

Whether you’ve been treated in hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning or you’re suffering from burns or scalds caused by a faulty boiler, Accident Advice Helpline could help you get the compensation you deserve. Since 2000, we have been helping tenants across the country claim compensation for a landlord’s negligent behaviour. So if you have been injured and your landlord did not ensure that your property was gas safe, you could find you have a viable claim.

The best way to find out more about making a claim is to get in touch with us by calling our freephone helpline on 0800 689 5659. We’ll ask you some questions about your accident and injuries, in order to assess whether you’re eligible. Most claims can be processed in full over the phone, so it’s unlikely you will have to face your landlord in court.