Slipway accident has potential to happen in Fowey

Harbour workers say that a slipway accident is bound to happen at Caffa Mill public slipway, next to the long-stay public car park in Fowey. Cornwall Council, who own the slipway, don’t have anyone supervising it, and it seems boats are being launched by members of the public with no regard to the safety of other people using the site, including families with young children.

Paul Thomas, the harbourmaster, commented, “The risk of a slipway accident there is significant and it is a real concern.” He fears that a similar incident to one which happened in Falmouth 10 years ago, which led to the death of a five-year-old boy, could occur at the Fowey slipway.

The slipway was manned up until three years ago, with Cornwall Council covering half the cost. Since the council pulled out due to budget cuts, there are no supervisors at the site, which is of particular concern during the busy summer season, when the area is popular with holidaymakers.

Anyone injured in an accident on an unmanned slipway may be able to claim compensation from whoever is responsible for the maintenance and safety of the slipway – it’s best to contact a personal injury lawyer for advice.

Injured on council property?

If you have been injured at a venue or location owned by your local council, the good news is that you may be able to make a claim for compensation. Injuries sustained at a play park, council-owned shopping centre, slipway or other location can range from minor injuries to fatalities. You’ll need to contact a personal injury lawyer, who will be able to establish if the council has been negligent. If this is the case, you should be able to claim compensation, and it’s unlikely you’ll need to attend court; most claims can be settled before this stage.

Claiming compensation

Contact Accident Advice Helpline today to find out whether you could claim compensation for your injuries. It’s free to call our helpline, and our team of professional personal injury lawyers can offer confidential, no-obligation advice, to help you decide whether making a claim is the right next step for you. We’re recommended by our patron Esther Rantzen for our excellent standards of customer service, and we work on a 100% no win, no fee* basis, so our services are affordable to everyone. If you’ve been injured on council-owned property, get in touch with us today to see how we can help you.

Source: BBC News

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )