How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Self-employment accidents

    Self-employment accidents

    I’m self-employed and I’ve had an accident at work. Am I still entitled to compensation for work-related injuries?

    Many people in self-employment worry about what will happen to them if they have a work-related injury in the course of their employment. If a self-employed person suffers an accident and it wasn’t their fault, the person liable to pay compensation may be unclear.

    Don’t despair. If you’re self-employed and have had an accident during the course of your employment within the last three years and it wasn’t your fault, you may still be entitled to make a claim for compensation. The claim for compensation will depend on a number of factors, including the contractor for the job and where the accident actually occurred.

    Who should I pursue compensation from?

    If you are an electrician who was called out to a job on a construction site, where you suffered a work-related injury, then the proper person to pursue compensation from is the company that contracted you to carry out the work in question. If you are injured in someone’s home during a call-out, then in that instance the homeowner is at fault.

    Do I have any responsibilities myself as a self-employed person?

    Be aware that as a person in self-employment, you also have duties under both the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999. These include carrying out the appropriate risk assessments to determine the risk of injury to yourself and the safety of others with whom you work.

    If you’re self-employed and have been the victim of an accident in your workplace which wasn’t your fault, contact us here at Accident Advice Helpline today. Our friendly and professional advisors are on hand to deal with any questions you might have regarding processing a claim for compensation. Lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call us today on 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: December 1, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.