Driving during the winter months can be dangerous and stressful, and if weather conditions are particularly hazardous, you should pay attention to warnings and try to postpone your journey until things improve, wherever possible. However, if you really do have to drive when it’s icy or snowing outside, there are some steps you can take to prevent winter driving accidents.
Staying safe when driving in wintry conditions
The following tips will help you to stay safe and prevent accidents when driving in the winter:
- Adjust your driving to suit the conditions – stay in a low gear during icy or snowy weather, accelerate gently and keep your distance from the vehicle in front.
- Set off in plenty of time for your journey to avoid rushing as it may take you much longer to reach your destination.
- Ensure you’re not distracted by other things in the car such as the kids, your MP3 player, applying make-up, eating or even talking on the phone – your chances of being involved in an accident are increased even when using a hands-free kit, as your concentration isn’t fully focused on the road.
- Always ensure you have breakdown cover and that your mobile phone is fully charged before setting off. You should also keep warm clothes, a torch and some food and drink in your vehicle in case you need to wait for help to arrive.
- Watch out for spray from other vehicles, particularly on motorways, as this can affect your visibility, especially when overtaking.
Claiming for compensation
If you’ve been involved in a road accident during the winter months, and you don’t feel you were to blame, you could be eligible to claim for compensation. Our 30-second test, available on our website, will help you to see how much compensation you could get, and our freephone helpline is open 24/7 on 0800 689 0500, whether you have questions about the claims process or simply want to see if you could be eligible to claim.
We know that the aftermath of an accident is a stressful time, but do call us as soon as you can so that we can offer you the advice and assistance you need; our team of friendly, professional personal injury compensation lawyers will listen to your queries and offer reassuring advice.
Accident Advice Helpline have been helping people with their personal injury claims since 2000, and our 100% no win no fee service means we’re accessible to everyone – you won’t pay a penny unless your claim is successful. Give us a call today and see how we can help you with your claim for compensation.