When you are driving there is always the risk of an accident happening. Insurance works by calculating this level of risk. Inevitably younger drivers are more at risk. This is why it is vital to have some essentials in your car when you make a compensation claim so that you can prove that an accident was not your fault.
Why it helps to be prepared for claim
As with any court case evidence is important. You do not want to get into a situation where it is your word against somebody else. Without physical evidence this is what it can be reduced down to. Furthermore there are certain basic details that need to be noted down.
- Pen and notepad- These are very cheap to buy but essential. All you need to do is keep them in the glove compartment. This will allow you to note down details and can make a massive difference when it comes to making a claim.
- Disposable camera- While a lot of people have smart phones if you have one in your pocket there is the risk that it gets damaged when you get hit in an accident. Therefore it is useful to have a backup. Furthermore if you get it developed it means that the pictures won’t be doctored. With a phone picture there is the potential argument that someone could have used an imaging program to change the pictures.
- First aid kit- This is worth having if you need to treat your own injuries or for your passengers.
- Emergency breakdown contact details- As well as people to come and repair your vehicle it is also worth having someone to contact in the event that you need picking up in an emergency.
When making a claim there are certain vital details to write down and/or photograph that can give you vital evidence when you want to make a claim-
- The name, contact details and insurance details of the other person involved in the accident
- The name and number of a police officer on the scene
- The amount of passengers involved in the accident
- The amount of damage caused
- Details of anyone who witnessed the incident who is willing to make a statement
Why you should contact Accident Advice Helpline
If you were involved in an accident that was not your fault then it is worth contacting Accident Advice Helpline. Our customer service team has been praised for the advice we have given our clients and we can match them to one of our many legal professionals to help process a claim.
The helpline is available 24 hours a day so there is always someone available. Contact us today to see what we can do for you!