How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Plumber installed unsafe gas boiler

    By David Brown on July 10, 2014

    A plumber who carried out dangerous gas work and was not registered with the Gas Safe Register has been told by a judge to carry out 150 hours of unpaid community work.

    John Ranfield, of Lansdowne Close, Tiptree, Essex, was also ordered to pay £500 in costs after pleading guilty to three separate breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

    The 63-year-old was carrying out some plumbing work at a property in Tiptree in April last year when he was asked to install a domestic gas-fired boiler.

    He agreed to do so, even though he had no qualifications to do so and was not on the Gas Safe Register, as required by law.

    Serious safety failings identified

    Mr Ranfield failed to complete the necessary checks before attaching the boiler to the flue. Incorrect combustion meant that the boiler was left with an unstable flame, which could have potentially exposed the homeowners to carbon monoxide.

    After the Gas Safe Register inspected his installation, it found three defects – one classed as “immediately dangerous”, and the other two classed as “at risk”.

    The Register passed their findings onto the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which investigated and eventually brought the prosecution against Mr Ranfield. He was sentenced at Colchester Magistrates’ Court.

    Speaking after the sentencing, HSE inspector Kim Tichias said Mr Ranfield should have known better than to carry out work for which he was not qualified.

    She added that it is vital to allow only registered gas engineers to do work on gas appliances and fittings, as carbon monoxide poisoning and gas explosions could end up killing people.

    Making a claim with the Accident Advice Helpline

    If you feel that you have suffered at the hands of substandard gas work, you could be entitled to seek personal injury compensation.

    Accident Advice Helpline is here to help, telling you if you’ve got a case to claim and how much you could receive. Call us on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0933 from mobile phones.

    Source: Duval Heating

    Share On


    Date Published: July 10, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.