How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Pair fined over illegal gas boiler work

    By Jonathan Brown on March 20, 2015

    Pair fined over illegal gas boiler work

    Householders are being urged to check that gas engineers working on their appliances are properly registered and have a valid ID card.

    The calls come after two men were prosecuted for illegally organising and carrying out the installation of a gas boiler.

    Anthony Thomas Hylins, of Railway Close, Burwell, Cambridgeshire, was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay costs of £645.90 and a victim surcharge of £120 after admitting he breached the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations.

    Mark Smith, of Exeter Road, Newmarket, Suffolk, also pleaded guilty to breaching the regulations. He was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay a £100 victim surcharge and costs of £645.90.

    Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court heard the work was carried out as part of a construction job in Exning, Suffolk, in early 2014. A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found Mr Hylins had been contracted by the property’s owners to build an extension.

    He had organised the boiler work, sub-contracting it to Mr Smith despite knowing he wasn’t registered with Gas Safe.

    Gas leak found

    The court heard Mr Hylins had thought Mr Smith would be accompanied by a registered engineer who would sign off and oversee the installation despite Gas Safe prohibiting the practice.

    Magistrates were told that a Gas Safe inspection had discovered serious safety flaws on the boiler – a significant gas leak, an incorrectly sealed flue and a wrongly fitted cover. The boiler was subsequently made safe by a registered engineer.

    After the case Gas Safe Register’s chief executive, Russell Kramer, said bona fide engineers carry Gas Safe ID cards, showing who they are and which appliances they’re qualified to work on.

    He said people should check cards and contact Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 if they’re concerned.

    HSE Inspector Ivan Brooke said householders should scrutinise ID cards and check the online Gas Safe Register before permitting engineers to start work.

    He said work done by incompetent engineers can raise the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, fires and explosions.

    He said the HSE would continue to pursue offenders by investigating reports of unregistered or unsafe gas work.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On

       

    Date Published: March 20, 2015

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.