How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    New gas boiler ‘put family’s lives at risk’

    By Jonathan Brown on July 9, 2015

    New gas boiler ‘put family’s lives at risk’

    A young family’s new boiler, installed by a builder who wasn’t on the Gas Safe Register, was found to be leaking gas, a court heard. David Liptrott fitted the LPG-fired boiler during kitchen extension work at a house in Charles Tye near Stowmarket, Suffolk, in August 2013. He claimed to be trading as a limited company, despite DPB Building Services.co.uk Ltd having been dissolved eight months earlier.

    The Suffolk-based builder was found guilty at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court of two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, three breaches of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations and a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act.

    Compensation ordered

    Magistrates gave him a nine-month jail sentence, suspended for 15 months, and ordered him to pay costs of £16,000 and £27,490 compensation to his victims. Failure to pay the compensation within a year would result in 15 months in prison.

    The court heard that the boiler was found to be leaking after the homeowners raised concerns about the standard of the work with the Gas Safe Register and Trading Standards. An investigator recorded numerous at-risk faults and classified the boiler as immediately dangerous. Trading Standards and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) later found evidence of dangerous electrical work.

    Builder had previous warning

    Magistrates heard that in 2008, the HSE had given Mr Liptrott, trading as D Liptrott & Sons, a written warning for undertaking unregistered gas work at a property in Cambridgeshire. HSE Inspector Anthony Brookes said following that warning, Mr Liptrott should have known better than to do work he was not legally allowed to perform, as he was not on the Gas Safe Register.

    He said with unsafe work raising the risk of people being killed by gas explosions or carbon monoxide poisoning, it was crucial that gas appliances and fittings were only worked on by trained, competent and registered engineers.

    Suffolk County Council’s public protection cabinet member, Councillor Colin Spence, said that Mr Liptrott was a rogue trader who had put the young family’s lives at risk. He urged anyone who had gas work done by the builder to have it checked by a registered engineer.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On

       

    Date Published: July 9, 2015

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.