If you have hired a decorator to carry out decorating work at your home or office, the chances are you have chosen somebody based on a personal recommendation or their qualifications and experience. Whilst most tradesmen are professionals who take pride in the high standard of their work, there are negligent tradesmen out there, who may not always carry out decorating work to the best of their abilities. If you have been the victim of a negligent decorator, and have suffered injuries as a result, you could be eligible to make a claim for compensation. But what constitutes negligence? Here are a few examples of the types of situations which could occur:
- Building collapsing due to the removal of a supporting wall or beams
- Failure to carry out a site survey – this could be particularly dangerous when renovating older buildings as sites could become contaminated with asbestos
- Injuries caused by objects falling from height
- Poorly erected scaffolding leading to injuries
- Slip, trip or fall due to tools being left lying around or open holes left unguarded
- Poor safety measures such as using a sander indoors without ensuring everybody in the property is wearing a face mask
- Poorly constructed furniture causing injuries
Claiming compensation for personal injuries caused by tradesmen
The Supply of Goods and Services Act applies to all tradesmen, not just decorators, and it ensures they have a duty of care to carry out their services with ‘reasonable care and skill.’ Slapdash work or failing to adhere to health and safety regulations could constitute a breach of the Act, which could be deemed negligent. If you or a member of your family has been injured by a negligent decorator, it’s important to seek legal advice. Whether you have suffered a minor injury or needed time off work to recover, a personal injury lawyer can help you to claim the compensation you deserve.
Contact Accident Advice Helpline today
It’s free to call Accident Advice Helpline and we are open 24/7, so whether you are ready to make a claim for compensation or need to find out more about what’s involved in claiming, call us today on 0800 689 0500. Our team of professional personal injury lawyers are here to offer confidential, no-obligation advice and a 100% no win, no fee* service. Why not take the 30-second test on our website, to find out how much you could claim?
Date Published: July 23, 2014
Author: David Brown
Category: Accidents at home