A paint shop supervisor exposed to large levels of dangerous chemicals has won “significant” work accident compensation.
Adam Coventon, from Royston, Herts, worked for Prior Scientific Instruments LTD for five years before developing myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME).
This was after being exposed to the chemical trichloroethylene after his firm failed to properly install a new piece of machinery.
Mr Coventon had no warning of the hazard and no protective equipment.
A degreasing tank employed to clean scientific instruments before they were sprayed was badly installed.
It did not seal properly, allowing trichloroethylene to leak into a badly-ventilated room where Mr Coventon operated alone.
Investigation uncovered safety failings
Six months after the new degreasing tank was installed Mr Coventon developed breathing difficulties, bad shakes and tiredness which eventually led to his work accident compensation claim.
His doctor noticed a 20% lessening in lung function and referred him to a specialist consultant who then recognised a lack of lucidity and well-being.
Mr Coventon has not been able to return to work since the diagnosis and the seriousness of his symptoms restrict him in day-to-day tasks.
Four years after the chemical exposure which sparked his accident at work claim, Mr Coventon takes daily medication to help control his muscle spasms and manage the pain linked to them.
Mr Coventon will be dependent on these drugs forever.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that Prior Scientific Instruments did not provide suitable equipment to adequately take away the hazardous fumes from the workplace, especially where items were left to dry.
Source: Health and Safety Executive
Source: Cambridge News