How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Man blinded in workplace explosion

    By Jonathan Brown on August 8, 2015

    Man blinded in workplace explosion

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has hit out at a pair of Yorkshire business partners after a devastating explosion left a worker blind.

    The 48-year-old man suffered life-changing injuries when he was caught up in the blast in November 2013.

    The worker, who does not want to be named, was blinded in his left eye and lost his left thumb and forefinger.

    Didn’t follow guidelines

    The explosion at Mason Engineering happened as the partners – Samuel Trevor Mason and Shaun Christopher Mason – were transferring oxygen between pressurised cylinders, Northallerton Magistrates’ Court heard.

    They had rigged up a make-shift hose fitting not designed for the high risk procedure. Debris built up in the end of the hose, causing it to overheat and ignite in the oxygen.

    The HSE said developing their own practice rather than following the manufacturer’s guidelines led to the explosion. It described the accident at work as one that should never have happened.

    Duty of care

    Samuel and Shaun Mason admitted breaching Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. They were fined £4,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,171/15 each.

    The man now has to live with the permanent consequences of his life-changing injuries.

    HSE Inspector Geoff Fletcher says the failure of the partners to consider the risks of transferring oxygen with in house manufactured components meant they failed in their duty of care to protect workers.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On

       

    Date Published: August 8, 2015

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.