How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Why landlords must check electrical appliances

    If you live in rented accommodation, it is your landlord’s responsibility to ensure that the electrical installation and appliances are safe at the start of the tenancy, and that these remain in proper working order throughout. Your Local Authority can take action under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) to enforce electrical safety, if necessary.

    Landlord’s responsibilities

    For Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs), all fixed electrical installations must be inspected and tested by qualified electricians at least every 5 years, and a certificate should be obtained, which the Local Authority can ask to see at any point. In addition, Part P of Building Regulations required that fixed electrical installations meet Building Regulation requirements. Electrical work should always be carried out by a registered, qualified electrician.

    Landlords should carry out regular visual checks of electrics such as sockets and light switches, checking for scorching or visual indication of wiring issues which could lead to accident or injury. Although there is no legal obligation for landlords to carry out a portable appliance test (PAT test), it is recommended, to ensure that any portable electric appliances provided by the landlord are safe for tenants to use, for example, a fridge, washing machine, lamp, kettle, toaster etc.

    Claiming for compensation

    If you are injured due to a faulty appliance in your home provided by your landlord, or if you have an accident due to faulty electrical installations in your rental property, then you may be eligible to claim compensation due to landlord negligence. It is important to keep evidence of any accident or injury, and taking photographs of faulty wiring or broken appliances is a good way to do this. You should claim for compensation as soon as possible after your accident, and in any case within three years, as after this time has passed, Accident Advice Helpline will not be able to consider your claim.

    How we can help

    If you think that you have a viable claim, please call us straightaway – we’re here to take your call 24/7, and we can usually tell you within 30 seconds whether we think we can help you or not. Remember, there is no obligation to proceed with a claim and we offer a 100% no win, no fee service; you can even visit our website before you call to see how much you could be eligible to claim using our 30-second claims calculator. Call us today and see how we can help you with your landlord negligence claim.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: November 18, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.