A landlord has been prosecuted and fined for breaching gas safety regulations at a property in Plymouth.
Giles Boardman was found to have failed to supply a gas safety certificate
for an oven at the property in Dickiemoor Lane on several occasions, Plymouth Magistrates’ Court was told.
This led to Plymouth City Council alerting the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which started an investigation and served an improvement notice on Mr Boardman.
The property, which was occupied by a mother and child, was visited by a Gas Safe registered engineer in April this year, who found problems with the gas controls for the oven, classing it as “immediately dangerous”.
This meant that if the appliance had been operated or left connected to the gas supply, there was the potentially an immediate danger to life or property.
The gas oven has now been replaced.
HSE inspector Simon Jones reminded landlords that they have a legal obligation to carry out gas safety checks in order to protect tenants.
“In this case, Mr Boardman ignored repeated requests to carry out the checks and as a result, a serious fault with the gas oven went undetected until discovered by an engineer,” he said.
Giles Boardman of Wheatridge, Plympton, Plymouth pleaded guilty to two breaches of gas safety regulations and a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act. He was fined a total of £4,050 and ordered to pay costs of £513.
It’s vital that tenants are aware of their rights and the responsibilities of their landlords. If you are hurt due to your landlord failing to fulfil their tenancy obligations, you could be entitled to compensation.
Source: Plymouth Herald
Date Published: September 3, 2014
Author: David Brown