How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Landlord failed to check gas appliances

    By David Brown on August 27, 2014

    A landlord from Slough has been fined after his negligence put a family – including two children – in danger.

    Mohammed Nawaz, 25, repeatedly failed to check gas appliances in a property he rented to them for nearly four years, despite several warnings and an enforcement notice from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

    He even ignored an abatement notice from the local council requiring him to comply with the law that gas appliances in rented properties should be checked every 12 months by a competent gas engineer.

    Potential health risks

    Unsafe gas work can be extremely dangerous. In some cases it can lead to potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Slough Magistrates’ Court heard how no checks were carried out between June 2010 and February 2014, while no Landlord’s Gas Safety record was ever provided to the tenants at any point during their tenancy.

    A boiler was classed as ‘At Risk’ when a Gas Safe Register engineer visited the property because of an inadequate seal around the flue and incorrectly-sized gas supply pipes to the boiler, something which could have caused harm to the family.

    Mohammed Nawaz, of Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, was fined a total of £9,000 and ordered to pay full costs of £3,941 after admitting two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations and a further charge of non-compliance with a HSE Improvement Notice.

    Claiming compensation from a landlord

    Gas appliances in rented properties need to be properly maintained and subject to annual safety checks. HSE says these simple and inexpensive measures are vital for the safety of the people living in the premises.

    If you’ve suffered an injury as a result of negligence on the part of your landlord, you could be entitled to personal injury compensation.

    Accident Advice Helpline has a wealth of experience when it comes to landlord compensation claims. It can help you get the compensation you deserve. How much money you get will depend on a number of factors including the nature and severity of the injury. To discuss your claim with a member of our expert team dial 0800 689 0500 now.


    Share On


    Date Published: August 27, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.