How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    I have fallen in public – what compensation can I receive?

    If you have fallen in public, this is no doubt a humiliating and distressing event. However, you are not alone as this common accident affects hundreds of people in the UK annually. Of greater concern in most cases are the injuries sustained by the victims of these falls.

    The owners of both public and private venues such as banks, restaurants and shops among others, have a duty to ensure that their premises are safe for their customers and visitors. Local authorities also have a responsibility to make sure that roads and pavements are regularly maintained and do not pose a hazard to pedestrians.

    You have a right to safe passage when going about your daily life in public. If you think that your fall in public and subsequent injury were due to someone else’s negligence then you should contact Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 to help you make a personal injury compensation claim.

    What is a personal injury compensation claim?

    If you have fallen in public through no fault of your own and suffered an injury, you can make a personal injury claim against those you feel are responsible. The amount of compensation you receive is dependent on the severity of your injury as well as the body part affected.

    The compensation claim can be made as long as the fall was not your fault and it occurred within the last three years. Additionally, you are required to have sought medical attention for the injuries you sustained.

    Open Claim Calculator

    This compensation will enable you to recover financial costs arising from your injury including medical fees, loss of earnings and home care if you are incapacitated. Furthermore the business or person responsible will be forced to put measures in place to save others from injury.

    Injuries that can be compensated

    Having fallen in public, especially on a hard surface, this may have resulted in various injuries for yourself. These include sprains, strains, bone fractures and head, neck or back injuries. Although some of these may appear minor, they may cause ample suffering for the victim for several years. You should receive compensation as long as you received medical treatment for any injuries incurred because of your fall.

    Tips for filing a successful compensation claim

    Before receiving compensation, you are required to prove that you sustained injury because the defendant was negligent in his responsibilities. The following tips should help:

    1. Where possible, report the accident to the owner of the premises and ensure it is entered in the company’s accident book.
    2. Get the names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
    3. As soon as possible, take photos of the area where the accident happened.
    4. Keep receipts of all expenses you deal with as a result of your injury, especially if you intend to get compensated for them.
    5. Get in touch with a compensation provider as soon as you can. Use our 30-second calculator to get an idea of how much you can receive from your claim. You can also call our 24-hour free helpline to speak to one of our advisors to know more about personal injury claims.

    Date Published: September 24, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Accident in a public place

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.