How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Being hit by an uninsured driver

    I’ve been involved in a road traffic accident with an uninsured driver. Can I still claim compensation?

    Being hit by an uninsured driver is one of the biggest concerns for many motorists. Uninsured drivers are a scourge on Britain’s roads despite insurance being a legal requirement.

    Fortunately there are systems in place to stop innocent motorists being out of pocket due to being hit by an uninsured driver.

    What should I do at the scene of the accident?

    The scene of the accident is perhaps the most crucial point in the process of making a claim. Here are some of the some dos and don’ts at the scene of an accident –


    • Collect as much detail as possible, such as the other driver’s vehicle make and model, and registration number. The registration is the most important piece of information to collect, as if the driver is uninsured, then any name or address that they give you could be false. Get the driver’s name and address.
    • Take notes regarding the damage to the other vehicle involved.
    • Take note of as much detail about the accident scene itself as you can – including road markings, weather and light conditions, whether the cars had their lights on, signals being made by cars at the time etc.
    • If there are any independent witnesses, be sure to get their contact details in order to collect statements.
    • Take photographs. The age of the smart phone is a wonder. Get as many photographs of the damage as possible. Try to photograph the other driver as well.


    • Assume the other driver has adequate insurance.
    • Accept any offer of a cash settlement at the scene of the accident.

    Should I involve the police with respect to an uninsured driver?

    You should only involve the police if any of the vehicles are causing an obstruction, there is bodily injury, or you have hit third party property, and have damaged this property, such as a wall.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If you do call the police, then they will request that the drivers involved produce their license, certificate of insurance and MoT certificate, in order to ensure that they are legally permitted to be on the road.

    However, if the incident does not warrant a call to the police and you suspect the other driver is uninsured, inform your insurer and do not take matters into your own hands.

    If you’ve been the victim of a road traffic collision with an uninsured driver, and it wasn’t your fault, then you may be able to claim compensation. Contact Accident Advice Helpline today.

    Date Published: November 29, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Uninsured driver claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.