How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Have you fallen over in public?

    Falling over might look funny in a cartoon or a comedy programme, but it is rarely as amusing when it happens in real life. If you are lucky, you may not be in a position to hurt yourself, and you can simply get up and get on with whatever you were doing initially. However, if you have fallen over in public and you did sustain one or two injuries, you may have to get treatment before you can do anything else.

    Obviously, your injuries will be the first things to consider. Do you need medical assistance? Should you get x-rays if you suspect you may have broken something? If a fall has resulted in an inability to move or get up, perhaps because you have a suspected broken ankle or leg, you would definitely need to call for an ambulance, or have someone else do it for you.

    Why did you fall?

    While you are waiting for treatment or recovering from whatever injuries you sustained, you might start thinking about what caused you to fall over in the first place. Sometimes it could be your own fault if you were not looking where you were going. However, in some isolated instances, the reason could simply be that someone was negligent in allowing a potentially hazardous situation to arise.

    Public places are usually maintained by local councils, but it does of course depend on the nature of the public place. For instance, gyms and leisure centres are regularly used by the public, as are shops, and so they could be described as such as well. In every case, whoever is responsible for that public place must ensure it is safe to use and is adequately maintained throughout the year.

    Knowing what to do next

    You should definitely take the time to seek professional legal advice if you have fallen over in public. Even if this happened to you some time ago, there could still be time to make a claim if you have enough cause to do so. Providing you do so within three years of the date of the accident, a claim can still be put through.

    Open Claim Calculator

    See if Accident Advice Helpline can assist you by calling us on 0800 689 0500 now. If one of our lawyers can definitely take on your case, they could do so via a no win, no fee* agreement.

    Date Published: June 19, 2016

    Author: Allison Whitehead

    Category: Slips, Trips and Falls Claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.