If you have been injured while at the gym and you are looking for gym accident advice, call Accident Advice Helpline. We offer a free, 24-hour helpline that provides accurate and relevant legal advice about personal injury claims.
Understanding gym accident claims
Staying fit and healthy has led to a growth in the fitness industry over the last few decades. It is estimated that as many as 4.5 million adults in the United Kingdom now have a gym membership. Unfortunately, this also means an increase in gym accidents.
Gyms have a responsibility to ensure that they offer a safe and healthy environment in which their patrons can train. This means providing gym equipment that is safe to use, knowledgeable trainers, and hygienic facilities that are kept clean.
It is important to understand that if your accident was the result of your own negligence, you will not be able to make a compensation claim. An example of such a distinction would be if you lifted more weight than you are capable of and this resulted in an injury. If, however, you were with a trainer and they instructed you to lift this amount of weight, the negligence was not your own and you could make a claim.
Common causes of gym accidents
The most frequent issues leading to gym accidents include the following:Open Claim Calculator
- Faulty or inadequate gym equipment.
- Lack of maintenance on gym equipment.
- Gym instructors or trainers providing inadequate or incorrect instructions.
- Gym equipment being placed too close together.
- Inadequate cleaning of equipment and facilities, which can lead to infections.
- No warning signs on wet floors, which can lead to slips and falls.
What should I do if I am injured in a gym accident?
There are several things you can do to make your claims process a little easier later on. These include the following:
- Make sure you receive medical attention for your injury.
- Report the accident to the manager and make an entry into the gym’s accident book.
- Find out if the gym has a closed circuit television system. Cameras may have recorded the incident.
- If there were no cameras, try to take photos of the accident scene if possible.
- Find any witnesses to the accident. They will be able to verify your account of the accident.
- Find a good solicitor to handle your claims process.
Call Accident Advice Helpline for gym accident advice
Once you have discussed the details of your accident and resulting injury with one of our advisers, they will be able to choose the best solicitor to handle your case. All of our solicitors work on a 100% ‘no win, no fee’* basis, so starting your claim will not cost you anything either. If you want an idea of what your gym accident claim might be worth, try our quick test at the top of the page. It will only take 30 seconds to complete.
Call Accident Advice Helpline now on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone. You have nothing to lose.