Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Government scheme for accident claims

Sometimes when people are considering making a claim for personal injury compensation, they assume there must be some kind of government scheme for accident claims in place. The truth is that although there is no specific scheme run by the government, claims for compensation are made through existing UK law, meaning that claimants have the backing of the UK legal system. If you want to know more about how accident claims work because you were injured after an accident that wasn’t your fault, read on to see how Accident Advice Helpline can help you.

Making a claim for compensation

Despite the fact there is no specific government scheme for accident claims, the process of starting a case for a personal injury compensation award is really quite simple. As long as your accident happened in the last three years, you received some kind of medical treatment, and the accident was not your fault, you may be able to make a claim. The best way to go about this is by using an experienced injury compensation law firm such as Accident Advice Helpline, as we have all the expertise necessary to make a successful case.

Claims can be made for many kinds of accident, ranging from industrial accidents and illnesses, to road traffic accidents, food poisoning, accidents in the workplace and much more. Although the government does provide some financial assistance in some cases, such as Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, this is no substitute for having the UK’s largest personal injury specialist law firm on your side.

What does the government do to help injured parties?

The first thing to be said is that prevention of accidents and injuries is hugely important, which is why the Health and Safety Executive exists. This government entity is the regulatory body for health and safety in Great Britain. It has been established for over 40 years, and works to prevent accidents happening in the workplace. Not only does the Health and Safety Executive issue safety guidelines and enforce mandatory safety precautions, but it also has the power to investigate accidents and issue very large fines.

The HSE can even issue criminal proceedings against individuals and companies in cases of extreme negligence. Although this is not a government scheme for accident claims, the HSE still plays a hugely important role in keeping people safe at work.

Criminal injuries compensation

There is one government-run compensation scheme worth mentioning; the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority is part of the Ministry of Justice, and blameless victims of violent crime can apply for compensation for their injuries through it. Those who wish to apply for compensation through CICA can do so on their own, although it is always beneficial to have professional legal representation in any claim for compensation.

making a claim through CICA is not the only way to apply for compensation for injuries caused by assaults or muggings etc. It is also possible to begin civil proceedings against somebody who maliciously caused you personal injury, and in this case you will certainly need the help of a professional solicitor.

What advice does the government give for personal injury compensation?

Despite not having a government scheme for accident claims, the government does provide some form of advice regarding claiming compensation for injury or financial loss. This advice states that people have two main options:

  • Make a claim yourself
  • Make a claim through a solicitor or a claims management company (CMC)

Although it is possible to make a claim for personal injury compensation yourself, it is very difficult to do so simply because if you have no background in law, the whole process can be quite confusing. This is why it is important to find a law firm or solicitor to represent you, as they already have the legal knowledge necessary to begin a case and hopefully end up with a satisfactory compensation award.

When it comes to claims management companies, it is important to note that many of these are not actually law firms with their own solicitors, and simply act as middlemen between a claimant and a solicitor. It is generally better to go straight to a law firm such as Accident Advice Helpline with its own experienced solicitors and over 16 years of experience in personal injury compensation.

What other advice can you get?

If you are looking for impartial advice about accident claims, you can also visit the Citizens Advice Bureau page on injury compensation. The Citizens Advice Bureau provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities. Although it is not a government scheme for accident claims, the CAB will be able to give you free advice about your rights.

Don’t forget, you can also receive free initial advice from Accident Advice Helpline by calling us on our freephone number given below. Even better, when you call us for free initial advice you are under no obligation to go on to make a claim, so you have nothing to lose by picking our brains about your particular circumstances. If you do want to make a claim, there are no upfront fees to pay, and no solicitors’ fees to pay either if your case is not successful.

Claiming without a government scheme for accident claims

Perhaps you’re disappointed that there is no official government scheme for accident claims. However, making a claim because somebody else’s negligence was responsible for your personal injury is firmly entrenched in UK law. With the law on your side, expert solicitors such as those at Accident Advice Helpline can put together an extremely strong case which could end up with you receiving a substantial financial award.

Call us today on 0800 689 5659 so that we can assess your case and let you know if you are eligible to make a claim. Don’t forget, you can also claim for psychological issues such as anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder caused by an accident that wasn’t your fault.