How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Firm hit with fine over gas explosion

    By David Brown on June 27, 2014

    A catering supply company has been fined after three people were seriously injured in a gas explosion at a hotel.

    Aberdeen-based Instant Catering Maintenance Ltd was employed by the Drumtochty Arms in Auchenblae to design and install a new ground floor kitchen to contain three appliances – hotplate range, four ring hob and a freestanding chargrill – that would be fuelled by propane.

    During the installation process, however, there was a large build-up of gas in the kitchen followed by a powerful blast.

    Serious injuries

    Barmaid Danielle Ormond, worker Neil Coffield and customer James Guthrie were all caught in the explosion on 7 January 2009.

    A substantial part of the building near the kitchen collapsed as a result of the incident. The damage was deemed unrepairable and Aberdeenshire Council later ordered the entire hotel to be demolished.

    Ms Ormond was passing through the kitchen, where Mr Coffield was purging the gas system, when she noticed a strong smell of gas. Moments later the explosion occurred.

    Mr Guthrie was in the courtyard outside the kitchen door smoking a cigarette at the time.

    A Health and Safety Executive investigation revealed the system had not been designed with a suitable purging point, while Mr Coffield was not provided with a flare stack to safely dispel the released gas.

    All gas appliances should have regulators to ensure correct pressure and for use on a propane-fuelled appliance they should be suitably converted.

    Instant Catering Maintenance Limited of Union Street, Aberdeen, was fined £7,500 after pleading guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

    Making a personal injury claim

    If you’ve been injured in an accident that wasn’t your fault, then you may be able to make a personal injury claim.

    Accident Advice Helpline can lend a hand when it comes to seeking compensation, helping you get the money you deserve.

    A simple test could tell you how much you could be entitled to in just 30 seconds.

    Source: STV

    Share On

       

    Date Published: June 27, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.