How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Criminal injury: the facts

    Criminal injury: the facts

    If you’ve been in the wrong place at the wrong time and fallen victim to a violent crime, you may have a right to seek compensation. However, in cases of criminal injury, the facts your solicitor will require in order to make a successful claim include a police crime report stating exactly what occurred and a medical report confirming the injuries you sustained. You must also be able to prove that you have not contributed to the incident in any way.

    Who can be held responsible?

    If you have been the victim of a violent crime, UK law gives you the right to make a claim against the assailant directly, against the person responsible for your safety or against the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, also referred to as CICA.

    Before filing your claim against the assailant, you should know that most solicitors are reticent to recommend this route, especially because you may not receive compensation, even if you win the case. Although most criminal injury compensation claims are successful, solicitors face serious difficulties when trying to enforce the judgement, because the offenders usually have no money to pay the compensation awarded.

    The second option is to make a claim against your employer, but this would only apply if the act of violence took place at work. Additionally, you have to demonstrate that your employer exposed you to a foreseeable risk, which could have been easily avoided. If this is the case, one of our team of personal injury solicitors here at Accident Advice Helpline will help you to file a compensation claim against your employer.

    The third way to make your claim is to file it against CICA. This organisation pays compensation to any victim of a violent crime that has occurred in the UK. If you choose to file your claim against CICA, you have to be aware of the fact that there have been several changes to the scheme that regulates criminal injury compensation claims.

    Open Claim Calculator

    The two-year time limit for making a criminal injury claim, residency and citizenship criteria, and unlikelihood of obtaining compensation for legal costs are all well known. However, the fact that the victims of violent crimes who suffer minor injuries are no longer eligible for compensation is quite new to most applicants. This means that if you have suffered a minor injury in a violent assault, you may lose out. In such cases, our solicitors are on hand to help ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to for the psychological and physical injuries you have suffered as a result of an act of violence.

    We can help you

    Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we are ready to pursue your claim by providing expert advice and representing you in court. Our lawyers, who specialise in all aspects of personal injury law, will do everything they can to ensure that you receive the maximum award allowable under the criminal injury compensation scheme.

    For an immediate review of your case, we invite you to get in touch with our friendly advisers by calling our toll-free number 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Date Published: October 12, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Criminal injury claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.