Claiming compensation for an accident in which you sustained injuries requiring a prosthesis is never going to make everything all right; it will not give you your missing limb(s) back or remove any psychological issues you are suffering as a result. However, what it will do is provide you with some comfort that the person responsible for your injury has been held accountable, and gives you some kind of financial stability, which will prove extremely useful.
Impact of injuries requiring a prosthesis
Having to have an arm amputated, or having it severed in an accident can have a long-lasting impact on the injured person involved and their family. This includes:
- Potentially having to leave current employment, particularly if your career is that of a driver or another role where having full use of both arms is a necessity. This may result in a period of unemployment and in turn financial hardship, therefore compensation can greatly help to relieve the pressure of financial problems
- Having to purchase a prosthetic arm or leg, then ensuring it is kept in good condition by paying for repairs and modifications. As time goes on, you may find you need to replace this entirely with a new prosthetic arm or leg, which again is an additional cost you need to keep in mind
- Psychological issues stemming from the accident and injuries sustained, such as stress and depression, which may then prevent you further from living a normal life or gaining new employment
- Care issues: You may find you need more help to do things, especially just after losing your limb; this might mean family members having to take time off work and losing pay to be there for you, or you hiring a care worker to help you with tasks you find difficult
- Home issues: You may need to make some modifications to your home to help you to undertake simple tasks, and this will of course end up costing you money
- Family issues: A devastating accident can impact upon your family too as they struggle to both care for you and live their own normal lives. This could cause stress and hardship to those you love.
Start your compensation claim today for injuries requiring a prosthesis by calling our 24-hour free phone line on 0800 689 0500. Our experts will be able to tell you if you are eligible to claim and if so, approximately how much you can expect to receive.
Date Published: August 19, 2015
Author: Rob Steen
Category: Other injury claims