How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Compensation for contaminated food injury

    The food industry is governed by legislation and regulations designed to protect consumers from harm or illness. These regulations must be strictly followed by any food provider or business in order to preserve the health of the customers who choose their services. The Food Safety Act requires all food businesses to conduct risk assessments in order to prevent any injury or illness from food consumption. The potential hazards in a food business should be identified and controlled where possible. Potential hazards may include under-cooking meat, preparing meat or food in a way which could lead to contamination or keeping an unclean establishment. This could result in food becoming contaminated with bacteria such as E.coli or Campylobacter; two common causes of food poisoning.

    Food poisoning can become severe in some cases and sufferers may even need hospital treatment. There may be cases where the food contains a foreign object which could injure the consumer. This could have fallen into the food by means of broken machinery or it could be due to a lack of cleanliness in the establishment. If this sounds like you, you could claim compensation for a contaminated food injury.

    When you could be entitled to compensation

    Food poisoning may occur if meat is undercooked or if food is contaminated with bacteria due to poor hygiene practices. Cross-contamination occurs when raw meat comes into contact with cutting tools or surfaces which are used in the preparation of other foods. Injuries may occur if there is a foreign object present in food that is then consumed. This may include parts of machinery, glass or even a fingernail. This could be due to poor hygiene practices or it could be due to poor risk assessments. These cases are examples of when compensation may be claimed for contaminated food injury or illness.

    How to make your claim

    You can contact Accident Advice Helpline for some no-obligation advice or to discuss getting representation if you are thinking of claiming compensation for personal injury. As we have a team of solicitors who are experts in the field, we will be able to advise you on how best to move forward. If you wish to contact our team, you can use our free 24-hour helpline. Alternatively, if you are short on time, you can make contact via our website and we will get back to you.

    Date Published: January 20, 2015

    Open Claim Calculator

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Food poisoning claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.