Parents and carers are being urged to take more care with their hot drinks following new research that suggests thousands of young children are being scalded by them.
Researchers found children under the age of one are 10 times more likely to be scalded or suffer a burn injury than older children.
Meanwhile, more than half (55%) the scalds sustained by those under the age of five were caused by a hot drink in a mug or cup, their study found.
Published in the Archives of Diseases in Childhood, the study examined the burns and scalds of children admitted to various emergency departments and burn units across the UK.
Researchers from Cardiff University found that three-fifths of those admitted had scalds, with almost half of those cases caused when the young child had pulled a drink that had been left within their reach on to them, causing painful burns to their faces, arms and bodies.
And they found that spilled hot water was responsible for around half the scalds suffered by children over the age of five.
The authors concluded that the raising awareness of the problem among parents and carers could help prevent such accidents.
‘Oven hobs also a danger’
The authors added: “Public information messages, children’s centres, health visitor or family nurse practitioners should address safety education as a matter of routine.”
Almost a third of the children examined were suffering from contact burns, the study found, with most of those cases caused by touching hot items in the home such as irons, hair straighteners and oven hobs.
Solicitors from companies like Accident Advice Helpline can help people proceed with scalding compensation claims where they have not been at fault.
Date Published: February 5, 2014
Author: David Brown