Most people cannot correctly identify potentially deadly gas appliances, according to a new study highlighting the importance of regular safety checks.
Consumers were shown pictures of 10 gas appliances, eight of which were life threatening.
But the vast majority (95%) told Gas Safe Register they thought at least one of the dangerous appliances was safe.
More than one in 20 (6%) insisted all of them were safe while just one of the 1,200 consumers taking part in the study correctly identified all 10 appliances as being either safe or dangerous.
Six of the dangerous appliances had the potential to cause a gas leak, explosion, fire or carbon monoxide poisoning but had been dealt with before anyone was injured.
Tragically, the other two had already leaked deadly carbon monoxide fumes, killing one homeowner and leaving another family in hospital. But almost half those viewing the picture of the appliance that had caused the fatality said they thought it looked safe.
Importance of checks
The study also found that just one in 10 would get the appliances checked if they were in their own home and even then only if they broke down.
That has prompted Gas Safe Register to issue a reminder to consumers that the only way to guarantee whether their appliance – even a new one – is safe is to have it serviced and safety checked every year.
Source: Gas Safe Register
Date Published: February 28, 2014
Author: David Brown