How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can I claim for an accident as a secondary school teacher?

    If you are a teacher and have recently sustained a work-related injury you may be asking yourself, can I claim for an accident as a secondary school teacher? You can make a claim with Accident Advice Helpline if you have been involved in an accident at school if a third party was to blame for your injuries. You have the same right as any other worker to make a claim for compensation if someone else’s negligence resulted in the accident. To start the claims process, call our free 24-hour helpline and chat with one of our helpful advisers. They will confirm your eligibility and talk you through the whole process before matching you with an expert solicitor who specialises in school-related accidents.

    Likely injuries

    Common school-related injuries include trips or falls, so you could make a claim if you fell over upturned pavement or fell through a structure that had not been maintained properly. You may also be owed money if you worked in a poorly-ventilated area or classroom over an extended period of time and it adversely affected your health. The school has a duty of care to protect teachers and pupils, so health and safety measures must be followed to reduce the risks and dangers associated within a school environment. If they fail to provide this duty of care, then you have a right to claim for compensation. There is a three-year deadline for the majority of school related accidents, so we suggest acting on your claim as soon as possible. To talk through your options, call us on 0800 689 0500.

    You can also make a no win, no fee** claim if a fellow teacher or pupil has assaulted you. However, the requirements for making a claim regarding violent crimes are different for standard injuries, so we recommend that you get in touch with us to see if we can help you. Whatever your accident or injuries, we will do our best to provide the best legal advice available. You are under no obligation to make a claim, so you have nothing to lose by finding out more about the claims process.

    Accident Advice Helpline have worked with teachers for the last 14 years. We understand the physical and mental impact that a school-related injury could have on your ability to earn a living. Seeking compensation can help you to recover lost income or pay for counselling and other medical bills. You should not worry about the school’s finances, as they are likely to be covered by insurance – so any money you receive will not affect them directly. The majority of claimants also return to the same place of work after receiving compensation without any hassle. The school will not take it personally if you claim for money that is rightfully owed to you.

    Evidence required

    Our solicitors will use evidence from the accident to prove that the school was negligent. This evidence will include witness accounts and other finer details about the accident. You must have received medical treatment at the time of the injury, so it is likely that the accident was noted down in an accident book. You may also want to provide financial documents so we can prove your loss of earnings.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: November 4, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Accident at school

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.