A holidaymaker has revealed how he helped to save a young boy’s life after a hotel swimming pool accident in Egypt.
To cap off a memorable day, the man followed up his heroics by cooking a Sunday roast for 300 fellow Britons.
CPR performed on boy
Jim Logie, 53, from Surrey, was having breakfast at the Sea Club Aqua Park Hotel in Sharm-el-Sheikh when he heard shouting from the nearby pool.
A lifeguard had dragged a lifeless four-year-old Egyptian boy from the water, so Mr Logie rushed over to see if he could help.
Mr Logie, originally from Glasgow, says he was shocked at seeing the boy’s lifeless body and “legged it over” to help carry out mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and CPR.
The boy, called George Manassa, had no pulse and the lifeguard was compressing his chest but that did not seem to be working.
“I don’t know how long he had been under the water for,” Mr Logie says. “I asked the boy’s father who was standing nearby with the mother whether I could try mouth-to-mouth on him. After a while, he started coughing, moving and his eyes opened.”
Hero helps to cook carvery
Mr Logie and his friend Jan Edmondson, 43, put George in the recovery position before the hotel doctor emerged to help force the remaining water from his lungs.
Following the holiday accident, George was taken to hospital but discharged later that day to rejoin his family.
The hotel staged a fourth birthday party for him, attended by heroes of the hour Mr Logie and Ms Edmondson.
Guest house manager Mr Logie helped to cook a beef, lamb and turkey carvery roast for 300 fellow Britons after hotel bosses asked him to devise an authentic British menu.
Mr Logie, who was on an 11-day holiday in Sharm-el-Sheikh, says it was “a strange end to the holiday, but it was a brilliant break”.
Source: Evening Telegraph
Date Published: July 10, 2015
Author: Jonathan Brown